[SATLUG] 1st Q? - RAID5 quit working - Attempting recovery #2

David Labens adlabens at swbell.net
Fri Aug 21 18:38:57 CDT 2009

I really didn't mean that electronic failures were more common than mechanical ones.  But, on the /sdc drive where it has some read errors that are consistent, I'm not convinced that's mechanical.  As for the other drive that failed a long time ago, I'm also not so sure because SmartMonTools says it's still good.

Yes, everything I've ever owned that was mechanical eventually failed.

As for my patience, I learned a long time ago that impatience USUALLY only gets in the way of bigger success.  Since I am really wanting to recover the data, and I'm "in over my head," I am being as patient as it will take.  My only personal issue is my apprehension that I'm going to lose the data.

And, I am MOST APPRECIATIVE (words barely express my thanks) for the help I am receiving.

And, I have a few questions about going forward... but I'll ask them under a different email.

David Labens

San Antonio, TX