[SATLUG] 1st question - RAID5 quit - Retrieving data

Samuel Leon satlug at net153.net
Sat Aug 22 08:14:37 CDT 2009

David Labens wrote:
> To get the new drive connected, I'll need to disconnect one of the old drives - there are only 5 SATA connections on the motherboard, so that's why I was asking if it would be ok to physically remove /sdb (least events).
>
> So, I need to remove one, and might want to remove all but the suspect /sdc so that I'm not inadvertently messing with one of the good drives.
>
> What do you think of this?
>
> I'll also need to do something to the new drive so that the OS will recognize it and so that ddrescue will be able to use it as the target drive.
>
> Is that the "sfdisk -d /dev/sda | sfdisk --force /dev/sdf" command?
>
> I'm at work again today, and we have dinner this evening with cousins who are dropping their oldest off at UTSA for her freshman year, so I'll be able to get & respond to emails during the day.  I would very much like to be able to move forward tonight with extracting the data from the /sdc drive.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Labens
>
> San Antonio, TX

Yes since the array is unmounted/not active unplugging stuff shouldn't
hurt it.  ddrescue (and dd) will copy byte per byte from one hard drive
to another.  sfdisk only copies one 512k block of the hard drive that
contains the partition info.  ddrescue will do both jobs (copy partition
info and data).