[SATLUG] RAID5 & ddrescue

David Labens adlabens at swbell.net
Sun Aug 23 11:40:29 CDT 2009

Herb,

THAT is exactly how I feel!  It's interesting to note that I built my OS on an 80 gb drive that was /dev/sda - at the time.  I had no other drives connected.  Without changing where /sda was connected, I then connected the other 4 drives for the RAID5 array, and suddently the system wouldn't boot - because the 80 gb drive was no longer the boot drive, and I had to reset bios to make it that way, AND, my OS drive was suddenly /sdd !!!

I'm in the midst of the epiphany that the /sd# is not hardware specific except in relation to whatever else happens to be connected AT THAT MOMENT.  But, using:

smartctl -a /dev/sd#

means I can see what the /sd# is, size drive and serial number, so I'm able to identify it from looking at it.

But, at least I'm gaining the knowledge & tools to deal with it!

David Labens

San Antonio, TX