[SATLUG] RAID5 & ddrescue

David Labens adlabens at swbell.net
Sun Aug 23 12:43:45 CDT 2009

Oh, lord, I HOPE I don't get what I "deserve!!!"

Herb, I have a programming background - from the days of Cobal and Fortran and Basic and Assembly Language.  In the days when I was really learning, the only input device was a punch-card reader.  So, we had to learn JCL (Job Control Language) also.  I can tell you that Linux is as Greek to me as, well, Greek.  And, the concepts are enough differently implemented that just figuring out something simple is a challenge.

But, Mom & Dad instilled in me the sense that I could accomplish anything.  Add to that the fact that the 80486 cpu was 1000 times the computing power as the 3 combined computers aboard the Apollo 11 mission that landed on the moon, and doing anything today on a computer really is "Rocket Science."  So, I've figured that, what the heck, I really CAN do rocket science, so I really have no fear of failure.

In this instance, failure means we lose a heritage worth of pictures, but I think I'm on the right track to recovery.  Maybe, when I get finished with this, I'll redo the entire thing from complete scratch, and will fully document everything that it takes to make it work and keep it working properly, and publish a book.

Maybe.  I'd have to do that on top of completing the kids backyard play structure (a pair of Rainbow playsets), learning woodworking in my woodshop, and helping out around the house.  At least I've got those other projects to keep me busy and mentally occupied while I'm trying to get this figured out.  Otherwise, I'd probably be obsessing, and that's never good.

But, I've got a head start on the book.  I've been fairly good notes in Word documents (on my desktop, not on the server - don't ask me why I did that except that I foresaw that I might need it if the server died!).  So, I might.  At any rate, I'd be glad to share the documents with anyone interested.

And, it has been MOST beneficial to have assistance from the good folks here at SATLUG.  I don't know that being local really matters, since I've not had to make face-to-face contact.  But, having the responses, of the nature they've been, has been most helpful.

David Labens

San Antonio, TX