[SATLUG] RAID5 Recovery - ddrescue CMP'D! (2nd round)

Samuel Leon satlug at net153.net
Mon Aug 24 08:37:09 CDT 2009

David Labens wrote:
> I'll take a look at Sam's email (below, at the bottom) after I get home
> this evening.  BUT, I just wanted to post that it finally completed the
> "--max-retries=3" before I went to work.  I have not turned the drive
> upside down or on it's edge, so I may try that tonight.  However, I
> figure that 442 kB of errors out of 250 gb data is "NOT BAD!!!" - it's
> the equivalent of much less than one picture, tho I expect it's spread
> across several files.  We'll see.
>

> Happy Monday, & hope everyone has a GREAT day!!!
>
> ------------------------
>
> root at RCH-SERVER:/# ddrescue --max-retries=3 /dev/sdb /dev/sda resclog1
>

> Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
>
> Initial status (read from logfile)
>
> rescued:   250057 MB,  errsize:   1835 kB,  errors:      40
>
> Current status
>
> rescued:   250058 MB,  errsize:    442 kB,  current rate:        0 B/s
>
>    ipos:   201463 MB,   errors:     864,    average rate:       22 B/s
>
>    opos:   201463 MB

864 x 512 block size = 442368/1024 = 432kb
Yes not much data but I guess in the worst case 864 files could have
data missing.  I suppose you could try running it again with the drive
upside down or something.  Hopefully it won't take another 20
hours...Some info on bad blocks here:
http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/badblockhowto.html doesn't seem
like much you can do about it.

See if you can pull the raid info from the superblock: mdadm --examine
/dev/sda

Sam