[SATLUG] RAID5 Recovery - Reassembly questions

David Labens adlabens at swbell.net
Wed Aug 26 11:36:36 CDT 2009

I have ddrescued the data from the damaged drive to the extent that I believe no more data can be rescued.  My last 4 results have been identical, meaning that I did it once, reran it and got better results, did it again with the same results, then turned the drive upside down with the same results, then turned the drive on it's side with the same results.  So, I believe I'm now as prepared as possible to start reassembly.

I THINK I have a couple of options.

1. I can connect the 4 drives:
    2 original ones that appear ok - event count = 2986
    1 new freshly copied new one w/a few errors - event count = 2978,
    & 1 more original one - event count = 89
and let it attempt/force reassembly of the array, hoping that the lowest count drive is excluded from the rebuild.

2. I can connect the 3 drives with the highest event count and let it attempt/force reassembly of the array (or issue the force command but omit the drive with the lowest event count).

3. I can now install a PCI SATA2 controller card (recently provided by the generosity of a SATLUG member who's been watching this - THANK YOU!!!) and the 1 tb drive that I bought for my 1st backup, and can attempt to copy the datasets from the drives and force it to reassemble from the single 1 tb HDD rather than from the individual drives.

I believe Option 3 is the best - meaning I'd not lose the original datasets if something assembles wrong.  However, I am unsure how to proceed with this method.

What commands would I issue to make the system copy from the individual physical HDDs to the single HDD with what would be virtual drives?

Or, am I trying too hard and doing either Option 1 or Option 2 be the right way to go?

THANKS!!!
David Labens

San Antonio, TX