[SATLUG] AntiTor, Opera and Tor, FreeNode

Christopher Lemire christopher.lemire at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 16:22:44 CDT 2009

 I liked all the things about the Onion Router already said. I will
add some things:
    1. latest tor source code is moved to git repo:
    2. Opera browser is known to have a bug in its proxy settings that
might compromise anonymity for users especially visiting a site whose
admin knows how to exploit that opera bug...
    3. Using tor is fine, running tor NON exit node is fine, probably
running a tor bridge relay is fine too, but my dream was to have a tor
exit node - and because of running it I got banned from freenode.net
irc network. Why? - freenode restrict tor users access to their
network - due to abuse cases which are known to stem from tor users.
They've set up 2 ways for tor users to enter freenode. Described at:
    But what actually is going on: the first so called tor public irc
server (mejokbp2brhw4omd.onion) is blocked too - they do not mention
it on their website but advertise it as being functional. And method 2
remains - messing around public keys and that sort of things - imagine
average windows user faces this just to access irc ...
    So if u run a tor relay or want to enter freenode from tor - u got
pretty much ... censored by FREEnode.
    What is more - freenode try to be as open as possible to the world
and somehow they act against that - censoring tor access to their
service. What is that again Free node? or - free? nope!!! :) Tor is
not illegal but on freenode it is not welcome - not anymore.
    One more thing about that kind of banning policy - it is a bad
example - bad , because if more internet places start using that type
of ... "censorship" - tor or anything resembling it might be rendered
to completely useless state. Freenode has proven quality of service.
Probably they are right banning tor users but .... what happens when a
first day tor user gets banned for having done nothing wrong - he may
be turned away from tor (if stupid enough) or just forgets about
freenode (or other net service banning him for tor). Either way -
nothing positive is contributed for anyone. Cheers, keep torifying the
apps :)

This is by my friend Ivan aka ivangotoy as requested that this issue
by addressed among the Linux Community.

- --
Christopher Lemire
Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0

GnuPG Security Key fingerprint = 3E1A 9103 EF3D 4885 6866  E9DE C69F
18B3 E13B 0909

Need Tech Support and Stay on Top of Linux Technology? Visit my Blog.

My PHPbb3 Forum will be back online soon. I just found high a high
bandwidth connection.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Use GnuPG with Firefox : http://getfiregpg.org (Version: 0.7.8)