[SATLUG] RAID5 Recovery - Reassembly questions

Herb Cee hc at lookcee.com
Wed Aug 26 17:56:38 CDT 2009

David Labens wrote:
> So, to restore it (hopefully not needed), I'll simply need to put it back onto a drive of the same size (& all other parameters).  It won't necessarily need to be on the exact same drive, will it?
>
> I'm continuing, working on moving drive 3 to partition /3 of the Big Disk.

David,Whew, following this has been very interesting but now .. I am even more confused about why use RAID in a personal puter network?

It just seems to me redundent since you are gonna have to use a backup system anyway to feel secure. I still do not have my little whirlygig working the way I want, but it really seems that using RAID would be risky for me since I would be so far over my head in attempting to administer the sys. On the other hand either setting up a frequent synced backup is safely within my understanding and tech ability.

The Raid sys also means keeping all the spindles spinning plus the
access time for all heads to R/W so the overhead is higher. To my simple
logic it appears that unless you operate a mission critical operation
RAID is a potential drag.

After going tru this really long ordeal how do you personally think
about RAID's value? Another Question is why did the sys not remind you
about that early drive being dropped and not attended. Or was that just
a failure to set the procedure to notify you?
hh