[SATLUG] RAID5 Recovery - Reassembly questions

David Labens adlabens at swbell.net
Wed Aug 26 18:42:15 CDT 2009

Herb,

You ask some very good questions, & I'll try to answer them as best as possible.

RAID, by definition is supposed to be inexpensive disks.  We had about
250 gb data, at the time I built it, and I wanted something bigger, but
didn't want to spend the immediate $ on tb drives, so I got 250 gb
drives and RAIDed them.  It was less expensive at the outset.  As many
drives as I've had outlive their technological lifespan, I never
figured a WD drive would fail in the first year, so I figured I'd have
time enough to buy 1 tb drives for backup at a cheaper price as the
year went along.  Silly me!  I also figured that as I purchased 1 tb
drives to use as backup, and filled up the 750 gb that the 4 250 gb
drives would create, I'd be able to eventually use what would be the 4
1tb drives I'd buy for backup as RAIDed drives to create a 3 tb RAID
array, and that would give the technology time to get more inexpensive
so that multi-tb drives would become more affordable.  That was the
plan, and it seemed like a good one.  To my mind, it still does.  At
the time, 4 drives of 250 gb each were a total cost less than a single
1 tb drive.  That was in November, so prices are dropping fairly
quickly.  Today a 1 tb drives is about the cost of 2 250 gb drives.

However, as you've asked about the notifications, it was the
implementation that failed.  I was a bit overwhelmed in building this
and failed to create the proper notification regarding disk failure.
HAD I done that, none of this would have been necessary to this
extreme.  Lesson learned.  It is, after all, a home server & not an
enterprise server, tho we use it as such.  As for the notifications,
once this thing is back up & running, my immediate next orders of
business will be to setup and test the notifications, start doing
regular backups with a rotating group of 1 tb hdds, and install the APC
UPS (& the correct auto-shutdown routine) that I purchased about 2
months ago but have not yet installed (other than to plug it in and
have it connected to the house power).

Once I have all that done, I'll feel secure in knowing that nothing bad
will happen without me being notified and having a backup both at home
and off-site.

Had I felt that two WD drives would fail within the first year of
purchase & installation, I definitely would have moved forward MUCH
quicker with the backups & notification and the UPS & shutdown
routines.  But, after having all my HDDs outlive the supporting
technology (by that, I mean, the OS's got replaced, requiring
motherboard upgrades and new HDDs to support them), I did not figure to
be due for a failure so quickly.  In the true essence of the
philosophy: "Expect the Unexpected!" would have been the best thing to
do.  I failed.

Would I do it again?  Probably, but with a stronger desire to complete the ENTIRE project both correctly and more quickly.

David Labens

San Antonio, TX