[SATLUG] RAID5 Recovery - Reassembly questions

Daniel Goller morfic at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 19:00:05 CDT 2009

Interesting point.

Running raid1 on my nslu2 is simple. Should one drive fail, rebuilding it
would be simple.

Spinning disks? Not really, they sleep until I access them

On Aug 26, 2009 5:56 PM, "Herb Cee" <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:

David Labens wrote: > > So, to restore it (hopefully not needed), I'll
simply need to put it back on...
David,Whew, following this has been very interesting but now .. I am even
more confused about why use RAID in a personal puter network?

It just seems to me redundent since you are gonna have to use a backup
system anyway to feel secure. I still do not have my little whirlygig
working the way I want, but it really seems that using RAID would be risky
for me since I would be so far over my head in attempting to administer the
sys. On the other hand either setting up a frequent synced backup is safely
within my understanding and tech ability.

The Raid sys also means keeping all the spindles spinning plus the access
time for all heads to R/W so the overhead is higher. To my simple logic it
appears that unless you operate a mission critical operation RAID is a
potential drag.

After going tru this really long ordeal how do you personally think about
RAID's value? Another Question is why did the sys not remind you about that
early drive being dropped and not attended. Or was that just a failure to
set the procedure to notify you?
hh