[SATLUG] Virtual server

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 21:04:18 CDT 2009

The first question that comes to mind is what do you plan on using for
the host?  You can run Xen or VirtualBox on Linux, or Microsoft
Virtual Server (which I have never used).

Second question - why do you need Gnome or KDE on a server?  Nearly
all admin tasks have to or can be accomplished through the shell.
Installing a DE adds unnecessary instability.

Third question - why Exchange if you are just doing POP3 or IMAP?
Unless you are using calendaring or Office integration it is just
going to use a lot of resources. Run a pop3/imap server on your linux
mail filter server.

-Henry

On 8/26/09, Doug <ftm at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> I want to know if anyone has had experience with setting up a virtual
> server.
>
> I have a HP EX series box, witth dual AMD64-quad processors, 8 GB RAM and a
> 1.5 TB hard drive.
>
> I have the following software licensed to me.
>
> Ubuntu server with postfix as a SMTP mail server.  (this can be changed to a
> different package if it will support KDE as a graphical interface, which
> Ubuntu will not.)
>
> Windows Exchange server 2007
>
> Windows SQL server 2007
>
> Windows Server 2008 Enterprise with Hyper-V
>
> ColdFusion Server 8
>
> I need assistance to set this machine up where I can access it remotely and
> administer all the servers that are running.
>
> The Goal is to receive mail on the Postfix server, scrub for virus and spam
> then forward it to the exchange server which will be used for POP3 for the
> clients to access their email.  The Win Server and the SQL Database will
> support web sites using PHP, JAVA, ColdFusion, etc.  I have been told this
> can be done, but I am a real newbie at this, and would be willing to pay
> someone who has the knowledge and expertise in setting up new systems.  As
> for editing the pearl scripts for filtering, etc, I can do that.
>
> Secondly I am looking for an Experienced (or beginner) web developer to
> create one 8 page web site for me, using SQL server as the database.
>
> If you can help, please reply off list, and we will arrange for it to get
> done.
>
> I will be utilizing a T-1 line supplied by NewEdge Networks.
>
> Doug White
> Whitedoghosting

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay