[SATLUG] Virtual server

Herb Cee hc at lookcee.com
Thu Aug 27 15:54:01 CDT 2009

ed wrote:

> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Henry Pugsley wrote:
>>
>>> Second question - why do you need Gnome or KDE on a server?  Nearly
>>> all admin tasks have to or can be accomplished through the shell.
>>> Installing a DE adds unnecessary instability.
>>
>> One application is very useful.  You can put vncserver on a server
>> and multiple people can connect to the same instance via vncviewer.
>> Then all can look at exactly the same application while on the
>> phone.  Very nice for collaboration.
> Would vncserver work for a classroom setting?  How?
>
> Cheers;
> Ed

Hey Ed, I am also looking at this thanks to Henry.
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~magi/doc/vnc/docs.html   Documentation
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~magi/doc/vnc/howitworks.html  how it works

I am using a white-board http://etherpad.com/ for a project with two
other participants but it's pretty lame so gonna read some more later
tonight cause I need something a bit more sophisticated than etherpad. I
have a website I could host a whiteboard on so gonna look into that also.
herb