[SATLUG] RAID5 Recovery - File System Check: COMPLETED!

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 19:52:14 CDT 2009

David Labens wrote:
> I'll save you from having to scroll through hundreds of screens of me pushing
>  the "Y" button, but will show you how it finished ...l
>
> /dev/md0: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED ***** /dev/md0: 49152/45793280 files
>  (6.6% non-contiguous), 57935665/183146880 blocks root at RCH-SERVER:/#
>
> I don't know HOW many times I had to hit the "Y" button.  I probably should
> have asked if there was an "auto-Y" response.  I eventually just pushed the Y
>  button and held it down with my eyes closed for minutes at a time.  I mean,
> it's not like I'd have recognized it if something had raised a huge red flag!

Check the fsck man page:

fsck  [  -sAVRTNP  ]  [  -C [ fd ] ] [ -t fstype ] [filesys ... ] [--]
[fs-specific-options ]

where:

     Options to different filesystem-specific fsck's are not standardized.  If
in  doubt, please  consult the man pages of the filesystem-specific checker.
Although not guaranteed, the following options are supported by most file system
checkers:

  -a     Automatically repair the file system without any questions  (use
this  option with  caution).   Note  that e2fsck(8) supports -a for backwards
compatibility only.  This option is mapped to e2fsck's -p  option  which  is
safe  to  use, unlike the -a option that some file system checkers support.

or even better the e2fsck page:

e2fsck   [  -pacnyrdfkvstDFSV  ]  [  -b  superblock  ]  [  -B  blocksize  ]
[ -l|-L  bad_blocks_file ] [ -C fd ] [ -j external-journal ]
[ -E extended_options ] device

OPTIONS
  -a   This option does the same thing as the -p option.  It is  provided  for
backwards  compatibility  only; it is suggested that people use -p option
whenever possible.

  -p   Automatically repair ("preen") the file system without any questions.

   -- Bruce