[SATLUG] Magnetic Reader for Entry

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 28 19:50:52 CDT 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 16:23:50 -0500, Michael Lloyd
<hugelandmonster at gmail.com> wrote:

>The goal would be to extend the fitness centers hours of availability
>for member utilization by setting up some type of magnetic bar code
>reader for point of entry for a fitness center.

First, why can the attendant not push a button to unlock the door? If
you mean to use this when no staff are on duty, I strongly urge a
re-examination for the liability risk when someone with evil intent
gains entry, perhaps by running up and catching the door before it
closes after a legitimate user enters.

Maybe someone "swipes" Christopher's card and does their holiday
shopping in your convenient late-night location. When the door log is
examined, I'm sure Christopher will be happy to assist the police with
their investigations.

Or when a member gets in trouble with one of the machines or the weight
bench. Who calls 9-1-1?

Sometimes technology is not the answer.  --Don

--
When you see the Christmas Lights go up in the stores, you know
Thanksg.,. Hallo..,  uh, *Labor Day* can't be far behind!