[SATLUG] Magnetic Reader for Entry

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Sat Aug 29 02:51:01 CDT 2009

On Friday 28 August 2009 04:23:50 pm Michael Lloyd wrote:
> The goal would be to extend the fitness centers hours of availability
> for member utilization by setting up some type of magnetic bar code
> reader for point of entry for a fitness center.

I'm preparing a presentation on mag card reader technology for XCSSA..
Although probably not in Sept. as I'll be out of the country.

In short.. I use the Arduino microntroller:
	http://xcssa.org/files/2008-05-19_Arduino_Slides_Scott-Simpson.pdf
	here's mine:
	http://xcssa.org/files/2008-06_zifduino/img1.html
	or a pre-built here for under $30
	http://www.robotshop.us/arduino-usb-microcontroller-board.html

and a simple TTL logic card reader, between $3-50 depending on where you get
it

and a pre-built arduino, open source microcontroller board:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Turn-your-Arduino-into-a-Magnetic-Card-Reader/

This is some of the new fun type of stuff we do over at XCSSA now. :)

Tweeks