[SATLUG] OT digital TV

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sat Aug 29 10:02:27 CDT 2009

I am looking at a new tv that has only hdmi inputs. my laptop only has
a svga output, no digital connector for external video, but I would like
to connect the new TV to my laptop, so is there a way to go from vga to
hdmi? I see these vga to hdmi cables for a few bucks on line, but then
there are also these $200 vga-hdmi converters. So I am confused, why would
I need a converter for the analog-to-digital, if apparently there is a
cable for $4.00 that apparently can do the same. What am I missing here?

Thanks, -b.