[SATLUG] OT digital TV

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 11:04:49 CDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Borries
Demeler<demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:
> I am looking at a new tv that has only hdmi inputs. my laptop only has
> a svga output, no digital connector for external video, but I would like
> to connect the new TV to my laptop, so is there a way to go from vga to
> hdmi? I see these vga to hdmi cables for a few bucks on line, but then
> there are also these $200 vga-hdmi converters. So I am confused, why would
> I need a converter for the analog-to-digital, if apparently there is a
> cable for $4.00 that apparently can do the same. What am I missing here?

HDMI carries HD definition video and audio. VGA cannot handle the
increased bandwidth so you need a digital converter. I would suggest
looking at another TV. Most TVs should come with all available inputs,
HDMI, VGA, component, etc..

Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility