[SATLUG] evms command line...

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Sun Aug 30 10:09:57 CDT 2009

I am not sure I can help here but:

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 16:07, Enrique Sanchez <
esanchezvela.satlug at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I need to setup a few  SUSE 10SP2 clusters

Define cluster.  Are you using a cluster file system (GFS, Lustre, OCFS,
CXFS), or a standard cluster where the disks are shared, but only one mounts
at a time

> and evms seems to be the
> only option to bundle several disks together,

Define bundle.  LVM "bundles" disks into Volume Groups, and is much more
common than EVMS.  AKAIK, EVMS combines operations so that you don't have to
manipulate LVM then manipulate the FS.  I think that EVMS is kind of a
"Wrapper" to LVM+FS.

> check the "it could be
> possible" part, the evmsgui seems to do the job just fine but I need
> to work with 20 to 30 disks per cluster, with different sizes and raid
> levels, so it is just not feasible to get the job done with the GUI,
> besides, I hate GUIs.

I assume that you are using a shared storage backend here (FibreChannel,
Switched SAS, etc), as "Disks" don't have RAID levels, where LUNs do.

> The only problem is that I've been having more than the fun I
> bargained for with the CLI as it seems to have a mind of its own. has
> anyone successfully worked with the CLI that can provide a good
> reference point to work with it?   so far, I've found a couple of EVMS
> user guides but their information on the command line is very limited.

We just use LVM and the appropriate FS tools to manage the disks, granted,
you have to often do multiple operator steps (create LV, run mkfs.x; where
EVMS does that in one step), but finding LVM expertise is MUCH easer than
EVMS expertise.

> Why SUSE and why 10SP2,  because that is what the customer wanted to
> use, no bargaining there.

This is like running RHEL 4.x over 5.x, so I assume that they have
a dependency (custom software, or the like; or simple politics) that
prevents using a new kernel or userspace tool set.  I am not aiming for a
distro flame war, and I am biased, but SLES 10 is a reasonable enterprise
OS, as much so as RHEL4, but RHEL is marketed much better, thus is more
common.  Both wrap "linux" (the kernel), with common GNU tools (Bash,
binutils, etc) but are "built" differently and "feel" different (ie the /etc
organization is slighly different, and the bundled "admin" tools are
different).

Thanks,
jp