[SATLUG] RE: Tweeks Advanced "Vim" For Developers

Greg Swift gregswift at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 12:38:12 CDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 00:08, Tweeks <tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org> wrote:

> On RPM systems.. umm.. I think it was like:
>        vimcommon
>        vimenhanced
>        vimscripts
> or something along those lines (haven't done RHat in many moons now).
> Anyone
> RH geeks want to jump in.. please do.  Just do a "yum search vim" and have
> look and install most of it and you'll be good. :)

on Red Hat/Fedora systems its:
  vim-minimal
  vim-common
  vim-enhanced

There is also a vim-x11 and a few other bits.  One that makes vim IDE like
for perl is vim-perl-support.

vim-minimal is similar to the slightly more classic vi, as Tweeks described
vim-tiny.

vim-common is additional files to allow vim-enhanced or vim-x11, as well as
online help.

vim-enhanced is supposed to be the bits that provide Python and Perl
interpreters built in as one of the primary features.

yum can get most of this by doing `yum info <package>`

-greg