[SATLUG] RE: Tweeks Advanced "Vim" For Developers

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 13:02:10 CDT 2009

Greg Swift wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 00:08, Tweeks <tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org> wrote:
>
>> On RPM systems.. umm.. I think it was like:
>>        vimcommon
>>        vimenhanced
>>        vimscripts
>> or something along those lines (haven't done RHat in many moons now).
>> Anyone
>> RH geeks want to jump in.. please do.  Just do a "yum search vim" and have
>> look and install most of it and you'll be good. :)
>>

> on Red Hat/Fedora systems its:
>   vim-minimal
>   vim-common
>   vim-enhanced
>
> There is also a vim-x11 and a few other bits.  One that makes vim IDE like
> for perl is vim-perl-support.
>
> vim-minimal is similar to the slightly more classic vi, as Tweeks described
> vim-tiny.
>
> vim-common is additional files to allow vim-enhanced or vim-x11, as well as
> online help.
>
> vim-enhanced is supposed to be the bits that provide Python and Perl
> interpreters built in as one of the primary features.
>
> yum can get most of this by doing `yum info <package>`

On BLFS it is:

wget http://www2.nl.vim.org/unix/vim-7.2.tar.bz2
wget http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches/blfs/svn/vim-7.2-fixes-5.patch
tar -xf vim-7.2.tar.bz2
cd vim72
patch -Np1 -i ../vim-7.2-fixes-5.patch
echo '#define SYS_VIMRC_FILE "/etc/vimrc"' >> src/feature.h
echo '#define SYS_GVIMRC_FILE "/etc/gvimrc"' >> src/feature.h
./configure --prefix=/usr --with-features=huge
make
sudo make install

You can add --enable-perlinterp, --enable-pythoninterp, --enable-tclinterp,
--enable-rubyinterp to the configure line if you want to include the Perl,
Python, Tcl, or Ruby interpreters that allow using other application code in vim
scripts.

This is a little more work than yum or rpm, but at least you know what you have.
  On a halfway modern system, it should take less than 10 minutes.

   --  Bruce