[SATLUG] Linux Ubuntu hardware compatibility lists

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Thu Dec 3 08:06:08 CST 2009

Cheryl,

I just moved my laptop to ubuntu 9.10 and all I did for my evolution
email and firefox data was tar them up:

afcasta at phrodo:~$ tar czvf mail.tgz .evolution
afcasta at phrodo:~$ tar czvf firefox.tgz .mozilla

on the ubuntu 9.04 computer called phrodo.

Then I installed ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop, clicked on the email icon at
the top of the screen and set up my email variables, then did the same
for my firefox setting. I then closed email and firefox, put the two
tarballs mail.tgz and firefox.tgz in my home directory on the laptop
called picotriffid, and:

afcasta at picotriffid:~$ rm -rf .evolution .mozilla
afcasta at picotriffid:~$ tar xzvf mail.tgz
afcasta at picotriffid:~$ tar xzvf firefox.tgz

Then, when I next clicked on the email icon, all my old mail was there
and all my settings for firefox, including my bookmarks, were available
the next time I clicked on the firefox icon.

I know you would rather not deal with the command line, but this is what
worked well for me.

Al Castanoli