[SATLUG] Linux Ubuntu hardware compatibility lists

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Thu Dec 3 08:49:33 CST 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 21:58, Ed Coates <edcoates at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 10:41 PM, Cheryl Holmes <cherylholmes72 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I have heard a lot of good things recently abt Intrepid,  If I upgrade
> Mom
> > from Hardy to Intrepid, will she lose all her Firefox settings and
> > bookmarks?  She's 74 so I can't put big changes on her and she will not
> do
> > anything that messes with "her stuff."
>
> If you do an upgrade, and not a total re-install, then her settings
> will be fine.  That being said, you cannot do an upgrade from version
> 8 to version 9.10.  You must first upgrade to 9.04, and then upgrade
> again to 9.10.

The best way to protect your "stuff" is a separate /home partition or
logical volume (Same as using a D:\ drive in windows and moving "Documents
and Settings" to it, so that when you have to nuke C:\ (or /) your settings
are safe.  I have had my same /home over many upgrades and even across
distros.

Definitely worth the time/effort to learn how to manage partitions (or even
better LVM) to keep your data compartmentalized.

HTH,
John