[SATLUG] Use command continued...

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 17:23:36 CST 2009

On Sunday 13 December 2009 17:02:04 Don Wright wrote:
> John Choate wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know what package would provide the 'use' command?
>
> In a script that might be Perl. (I don't use it but Google is sometimes
> kind.) The first line of the script should identify the interpreter the
> script expects. Do you have something like
>   #!/usr/bin/perl
> as the first line?
>
> Posting the first line of the failing script and a few lines around the
> failing 'use' line might help narrow it down. Other candidates include
> SQL database queries or (less likely) 'NET USE' originally from Novell
> Netware.  --Don

Thank you. I had ignored the first line because my error was pointing me to line 3 and unknown command use. The script in question is:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use MIME::Base64;

# encode parameter 1
$encoded_usr = encode_base64($ARGV[0]);
# encode parameter 2
$encoded_pwd = encode_base64($ARGV[1]);

#$decoded = decode_base64($encoded);

print $encoded_usr;
print $encoded_pwd;

I don't actually have any need for this script, but I had used it over a year ago to create base64 encrypted names and passwords to test logging in to use smtp via telnet. I was cleaning up my ~/ directory and found the script in there and decided to try it again. I'll look at the path to perl and my perl installation.

Thanks,
John C.