[SATLUG] The Great Netbook Search

FIRESTORM_v1 firestorm.v1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 23:49:49 CST 2009

I'll throw my .02c in as well.

Prior to a recent trade, I was thinking about getting a netbook
however a friend had a HP 2510p that he wasn't doing anything with and
I had a 1U server I wasn't doing anything with so a deal was made.

Although the HDD in this one is proprietary (ruggedized and
non-standard connector), it's 80gb and it flies.  The laptop also has
a tilt sensor that will shutoff the HDD if dropped, the lid is closed
and it is moved or if it detects vibration. (trust me, cats + spinning
disks = failure imminent).

It's got a Intel Core2Duo 1.06GHz proc, 2GB of ram and it is fast as
heck for linux or windows. It runs forever on the battery it came with
and I charge it ~ once a week.  Like the netbooks, it came with
802.11/54G wifi and also has a minipcie slot for a cellular data card
if need be.  Unlike the netbooks, this machine also managed to squeeze
in a 56x DVD/CDRW.

Considering all this, even though I like the netbook form factor, I
know that this laptop could stomp the netbook's performance for a
little more in size.

This laptop is about 11 in wide by ~10in deep and about 1/2in thick
and is not as heavy as a standard laptop.  I think HP considers it an
"ultraportable"?

FIRESTORM_v1