[SATLUG] re: hosting

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Thu Dec 17 19:31:26 CST 2009

On 12/17/2009 4:37 AM, Daniel Villarreal wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a cheap web hosting company? I've got my sites parked
> for the time being.

I sent a message to Daniel earlier, but I figured I would go ahead and
throw it out to everyone else.

I would be happy to host small-ish sites for folks for free, provided
you don't need SSL. If you do, that's fine, but we would need to arrange
some sort of reimbursement for the IP costs. I run nginx on a CentOS 5.4
slice at Slicehost. I would be willing to help translate mod_rewrite
rules specific to Apache to nginx. If you need mail hosting, that's cool
too. I've been running my own mail services for a while now. My slice
isn't doing much and I've got plenty of capacity to share.

If you want to DIY, I highly recommend Slicehost or Rackspace Cloud
Servers. They are practically the same (technology and parent company,
Rackspace), just billed a little differently. Slicehost allots you a
certain amount of bandwidth and with Cloud Servers it's à la carte. I've
heard that unless you expect high bandwidth usage, Cloud Servers is
cheaper. I've been using Slicehost myself for about a year and haven't
had a single complaint.

Rackspace Cloud Servers
http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/servers

Slicehost
http://www.slicehost.com

** Full Disclosure: I am a Rackspace employee, but honestly love
Slicehost completely independently of that fact

--
Daniel