[SATLUG] re: hosting

Channing.ML at channingc.com Channing.ML at channingc.com
Fri Dec 18 08:35:58 CST 2009

Daniel J. Givens wrote:
> On 12/17/2009 4:37 AM, Daniel Villarreal wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a cheap web hosting company? I've got my sites
>> parked
>> for the time being.
>
> I sent a message to Daniel earlier, but I figured I would go ahead and
> throw it out to everyone else.
>
> I would be happy to host small-ish sites for folks for free, provided
> you don't need SSL. If you do, that's fine, but we would need to
> arrange some sort of reimbursement for the IP costs. I run nginx on a
> CentOS 5.4 slice at Slicehost. I would be willing to help translate
> mod_rewrite rules specific to Apache to nginx. If you need mail
> hosting, that's cool too. I've been running my own mail services for a
> while now. My slice isn't doing much and I've got plenty of capacity
> to share.
>
> If you want to DIY, I highly recommend Slicehost or Rackspace Cloud
> Servers. They are practically the same (technology and parent company,
> Rackspace), just billed a little differently. Slicehost allots you a
> certain amount of bandwidth and with Cloud Servers it's à la carte.
> I've heard that unless you expect high bandwidth usage, Cloud Servers
> is cheaper. I've been using Slicehost myself for about a year and
> haven't had a single complaint.
>
> Rackspace Cloud Servers
> http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/servers
>
> Slicehost
> http://www.slicehost.com
>
> ** Full Disclosure: I am a Rackspace employee, but honestly love
> Slicehost completely independently of that fact
>
> --
> Daniel
I'll have to second the Rack Cloud suggestion.  Rack's Cloud has been
great, so much so, that I flipped a colleague in no time when he had a
catastrophic hardware event at his Colo.  He is now leveraging the
server services and since he's a semi-professional photographer, Cloud
Files for backups of his data.

For those who like to play, I'd encourage it.  You can load a Cloud
instance in minutes, configure and run.  One of the best features is the
ability to perform hot backups that can be used as new, or replacement
instances.  Of course you'll want to take care should you be running an
email server, or other services whose data may need to be considered
before you throw away an instance.  A-la-carte usually means you pay
more, but in this case it really can work in your favor.

** Full Discloser: I am not a Racker - I just love their services :)

Channing