[SATLUG] re: hosting

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Sun Dec 20 03:12:06 CST 2009

On Friday 18 December 2009 08:35:58 am Channing.ML at channingc.com wrote:
[...]
> I'll have to second the Rack Cloud suggestion.

Glad to hear that so many people are liking the Rackspace Cloud stuff (BTW,
you all are only discussing the "Cloud Servers" offering).  However,
the "Rackspace Cloud" is now way more than just little VMs (Cloud Servers)...
It's more like we have a bunch of virtualized building blocks that you can
put to gether and configure however you want to build your applications on
top of... getting away from the traditional concept of "a server" or just "a
web site".

Just for clarity's sake.. and for those who are still a little "foggy" (hehe)
on what all this cloud stuff is all about... there now are several
different "cloud" offerings at Rackspace.

> ** Full Discloser: I am not a Racker - I just love their services :)

Full Disclosure: I AM a Racker... and you're all using their services right
now! *   ;)

Maybe this will help things a bit more clear...
(this is not a sales pitch.. I'm a geek guys)

	-Cloud Servers (aka "slices")
	These are little Xen VMs that you can have loaded up and running in
	just minutes.. and only cost a few bucks/month.  Yes.. you have full
	root.. and can get full snapshot based backups and really do all
	kinds of cool stuff with these little VM servers.  We support auto-
	provisioning on CentOS, Fedora, Ubuntu, and I think a couple other
	distros too.  Windows is coming soon too!  <gag..> ;)
	More info:	http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/servers

	-Cloud Sites (aka "website hosting" or "mosso")
	This is akin to more traditional web vhosting, but with a really slick
	unifying admin user interface, a scalable backend DB, DNS, and more.
	More info:	http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/sites

	-Cloud Files (a storage system akin to Amazon S3, but "cooler")
	Something like Amazon S3 (a web-storage system) but on steroids.   Cloud
	Files also has cool features such as:
		-BUILT IN CDN
		(content distribution network, yeah.. like Akami "web acceleration")
		-An open API that can be tied directly into your apps
		 (iphone app: http://tinyurl.com/yhfv936 )
		-A URL linkable access method (for use in regular web sites)
		-Web control panel based file browser (plus many clients like Cyberduck)
		-Just $0.15/GiB
		 (sorry.. I don't normally share prices.. but so many people ask that)
	More info:	http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/files

Here's the Web-UI that ties the three above all together:
	http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_demos

Then there's some cool new Cloud-Apps being offered by Rackspace Email &
Apps.. such as:

	-Rackspace Cloud Drive (desktop cloud-files drive mapping/syncing system)
	This "storage application" uses Cloud Files (or S3 if you prefer) to give
	you a web-service and desktop drive mapping/sharing service that lets you
	mount, share and sync against your cloud storage resources...
	More info:	http://www.rackspace.com/online_file_storage

	-Rackspace Server Backup (same as Cloud Drive, but for servers and backups)
	This "storage application" uses Cloud Files (or S3 if you prefer) to give
	you a cloud based server backup solution.  It has it's own backup system,
	or you can just map your resources and use rsync!  Works with Linux, Mac-OSX,
	oh yeah.. and that other OS "Windows" too ;)
	More info:	http://www.rackspace.com/data_backup_software

	More info:	http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/files

So as you can see.. "Rackspace Cloud" is now way more than just little VMs
(Cloud Servers)...  This is why they launched this whole more "No More
Servers" campaign:
	http://nomoreservers.com/
	(i can't believe they actually used a football metaphor in that video... ;)

Maybe I should consider doing a presentation on the Rackspace cloud
technologies?  At XCSSA.. or OSFest?  Hmm.. maybe if I get some queries for
it.

Well, it's late and there's probably typos and errors throughout all this..
nite nite!

Tweeks

* See here:
$ host satlug.org | grep address| cut -f4 -d" " | xargs whois  {} -h \
  whois.geektools.com | grep -A8 OrgName:
OrgName:    Rackspace.com, Ltd.
OrgID:      RSPC
Address:    9725 Datapoint Drive