[SATLUG] OT: Wireless "N" Router Recommendations

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 23:51:09 CST 2009

Right now, the Netgear WNDR3700 seems to be rated the best router on the
market. You can read more about it here:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/30925-start-your-buying-netgear-wndr3700-reviewed

The problem with linksys (and I've learned this from personal experience) is
that as time has passed from the WRT-54G to today, they have consistently
used cheaper parts and crappier code (firmware). If you read their own
forums, you will also see that they do not respond at all to the complaints,
as they know they have produced pieces of crap and can't really do anything
about it unless they recall all of the units.

The WRT-54G/S/L were pretty good but anything after that series seems to be
of less quality. You can mitigate some of the issues (as I have) by running
multiple units so that one unit is not doing everything
(firewall/DHCP/routing/wireless). I have a 54G with DD-WRT handling
routing/firewall/dhcp and then a 160N acting as simple N AP. I have a
separate Netgear gigabit switch handling the server LAN. All works like a
charm. That being said, I will never buy another linksys product again.

I will probably get the WNDR3700 when my 160N or 54G take a crap on me.