[SATLUG] OT: Wireless "N" Router Recommendations

Justin Burdette justin.burdette at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 00:41:02 CST 2009

I dumped my WRT54G a while back as I couldn't even assign it a 10.10.x.x IP
on my local network and flashing to DD-WRT or OpenWRT didn't work at all.

I'm currently running a Netgear router configured just the way I want it. No
problems whatsoever, except that the firmware update will not work in
Firefox at all. I had to switch over to my XP computer and do it in
IE...probably the first time I've used IE on one of my own computers since
FF was still in the 0.9x stages.

I haven't read much about their N routers, but I will be looking in to them
shortly as my next laptop purchase should have N capability.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 23:51, Ernest De Leon <edeleonjr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Right now, the Netgear WNDR3700 seems to be rated the best router on the
> market. You can read more about it here:
>
> http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/30925-start-your-buying-netgear-wndr3700-reviewed
>
> The problem with linksys (and I've learned this from personal experience)
> is
> that as time has passed from the WRT-54G to today, they have consistently
> used cheaper parts and crappier code (firmware). If you read their own
> forums, you will also see that they do not respond at all to the
> complaints,
> as they know they have produced pieces of crap and can't really do anything
> about it unless they recall all of the units.
>
> The WRT-54G/S/L were pretty good but anything after that series seems to be
> of less quality. You can mitigate some of the issues (as I have) by running
> multiple units so that one unit is not doing everything
> (firewall/DHCP/routing/wireless). I have a 54G with DD-WRT handling
> routing/firewall/dhcp and then a 160N acting as simple N AP. I have a
> separate Netgear gigabit switch handling the server LAN. All works like a
> charm. That being said, I will never buy another linksys product again.
>
> I will probably get the WNDR3700 when my 160N or 54G take a crap on me.

> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:52 PM, Channing <Channing.ML at channingc.com
> >wrote:
>
> > I'm in the market for a new "N" router.  I was looking at the Linksys
> 610,
> > but it doesn't look stable based on what folks are saying.
> > Does anyone have any recommendations?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Channing
> >
> > --