[SATLUG] Mounting Windows Share Read/Write

Ed Coates edcoates at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 10:13:02 CST 2009

I'm having a bit of troubles that I can't seem to figure out.  I've
googled and read the man page for smbmout, but when I try and mount a
Windows Vista Share RW to the Linux box, I always get a permission
denied when I try and write a file to it.  I've specified the uid/gid
and rw in the mount options, but still get permission denied.  Here is
what I get when I perform smbclient -L nightscape from the Linux box:

edcoates at nightmare:/nightscape$ smbclient -L nightscape
Enter edcoates's password:
Domain=[NIGHTSCAPE] OS=[Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium 6002 Service
Pack 2] Server=[Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium 6.0]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        ADMIN$          Disk      Remote Admin
        C               Disk
        C$              Disk      Default share
        D$              Disk      Default share
        IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
Domain=[NIGHTSCAPE] OS=[Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium 6002 Service
Pack 2] Server=[Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium 6.0]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master

Here is the command that I use to mount the filesystem:
mount -t smbfs //nightscape/C /nightscape -o
uid=edcoates,gid=edcoates,username=edcoates,rw
I put in the password, and it's mounted as such:

//nightscape/C on /nightscape type cifs (rw,mand)

if I do an ls -la, I can see that the filesystem has been mounted with
the files owned by edcoates:edcoates like I want, but I can't make any
changes to the filesystem without getting permission denied.  Any
ideas?