[SATLUG] OT: Wireless "N" Router Recommendations

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 13:25:55 CST 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:52 PM, Channing <Channing.ML at channingc.com> wrote:
> I'm in the market for a new "N" router.  I was looking at the Linksys 610,
> but it doesn't look stable based on what folks are saying.
> Does anyone have any recommendations?
>
> TIA,
> Channing

I haven't looked at consumer wireless in a while, but one thing to
look out for is whether it supports dual-band 802.11n.  A lot of the
Linksys routers that I have seen only do a/n, bg/n, or both but not at
the same time.  This means you have to pick one band and hope that all
your clients support it .. if you have a couple bg clients, all of
your a clients suffer the performance hit.  Also, running bg/n is more
susceptible to interference because of the limited number of channels
(11 total, 3 non-overlapping) so you won't see the throughput that you
will with a/n or be able to support as many clients at high speed.

I do have a Cisco 1252 AP with antennas that I'm willing to let go of
for $500 ;)

-Henry