[SATLUG] OT: Wireless "N" Router Recommendations

Greg Swift gregswift at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 22:21:29 CST 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 22:52, Channing <Channing.ML at channingc.com> wrote:

> I'm in the market for a new "N" router.  I was looking at the Linksys 610,
> but it doesn't look stable based on what folks are saying.
> Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've no specific recommendation, just my history for you.

well.. I just disconnected my Netgear WNR834M (one of their early draft-N)
router.  I had to get it replaced less than 2 months in (2years ago now),
and for the last 6+ months its been horrible.  I was having to power cycle
it atleast once a day.  It is on the latest firmware, but they seemed to
stop taking care of those router a long time ago, and because of the chipset
no-one seems to want to do the work to make DD-WRT work on it (the code/spec
is out, but from what i've read about it is horrible).  If anyone wants it
to play with they can have it, maybe you'll have the motivation to get
DD-WRT ported and the firmware will be the problem not the hardware.

This last weekend I began the search for a new router anew, spurred on by
fairly recent news of the Netgear WNR3500L, which was supposed to natively
run DD-WRT.  Reviews seemed disappointed it was based on WNR3500 not WNR3700
among other things, and I was just feeling burnt out based on my horrid
WNR834M.  As such I began reviewing linksys and dlink, because any time i've
recommended one to other people they seem to work without a hitch.  My
primary requirement was stability then speed, but with an idealistic goal of
having one I could move to DD-WRT if all else failed and the upstream
firmware just bit (or stopped getting updated like the WNR834M).

Initially, i was thinking about the Linksys WRT610N, but ended up with the
Linksys WRT320N because the primary usable difference that I could see was
the USB port, and I wasn't going to use that.  And the price difference was
significant enough that I could also get the 2yr warranty from the store if
I end up w/ another dud (I tend to attract hardware that likes to fail).

So far so good with the WRT320N.  There is only 1 "version" out, and its
supported by DD-WRT, but I likely won't cross that road for a while.. maybe
if I ever get around to running ethernet and its wireless stops being
something my wife relies on too :)

As far as wireless adapters, I'm using a D-Link DWA-552 and am using it in
Fedora 12.  Occasionally when rebooting the WNR824M I would end up reloading
the driver to get a good connection again, but once again so far so good now
that the Linksys is in place.  Daniel Givens asked about checking the
through put, and I don't have an answer, my bitrate shows 1MB/s but I
decidedly get better than that.

good luck.

-greg