[SATLUG] Mounting Windows Share Read/Write

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Wed Dec 23 06:36:04 CST 2009

Herb Cee wrote:

Ed and I have been down that path with Linux and XP and that's not an issue.

There does seem to be some differences in how smb is handled now in
openSuSE 11.2 and how the old smb stuff worked.  Here's an example:
(all done as root)

linux:~ #
mount

/dev/sdb2 on / type ext4
(rw,acl,user_xattr)
proc on /proc type proc
(rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs
(rw)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs
(rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs
(rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts
(rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
/dev/sdb3 on /home type ext4
(rw,acl,user_xattr)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl
(rw)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs
(rw)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/geoff/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
(rw,nosuid,nodev,user=geoff)
linux:~ # mkdir /geoff
linux:~ # mount //geoff/C /geoff
Password:
retrying with upper case share name
mount error(6): No such device or address
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
linux:~ # ping geoff
PING geoff.gateway.2wire.net (192.168.1.67) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from geoff (192.168.1.67): icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=0.181 ms
64 bytes from geoff (192.168.1.67): icmp_seq=2 ttl=128 time=0.198 ms
^C

--- geoff.gateway.2wire.net ping statistics
---
6 packets transmitted, 6 received, 0% packet loss, time
5001ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.176/0.184/0.198/0.018
ms
linux:~ # mount //192.168.1.67/C /geoff
Password:

retrying with upper case share
name

mount error(6): No such device or
address
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man
mount.cifs)
linux:~ # smbmount -L
geoff

If 'smbmount' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the
package that contains it, like this:
    cnf
smbmount

linux:~ #
smb

smbcacls      smbcontrol    smbd          smbget        smbprngenpdf
smbstatus     smbtree
smbclient     smbcquotas    smbfilter     smbpasswd     smbspool
smbtar
linux:~ # smbstatus -L geoff
No locked files
linux:~ # smbclient -L 192.168.1.67
Enter root's password:
(here, I specified the password for the user active on the Winders box,
which is also has administrator privledges)

Domain=[GEOFF] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
        D$              Disk      Default share
        print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
        SharedDocs      Disk
        movies          Disk
        mp3             Disk
        F$              Disk      Default share
        jam-sessions    Disk
        Printer2        Printer   Fax Lexmark 5300 Series
        ADMIN$          Disk      Remote Admin
        C$              Disk      Default share
session request to 192.168.1.67 failed (Called name not present)
session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
Domain=[GEOFF] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Server               Comment