[SATLUG] Why are my ports 135,139,and 445 open?

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 23:22:17 CST 2009

filtered != open. As someone else mentioned, this is the result of a
REJECT vs a DROP.  ISPs filter these ports to prevent the spread of
viruses and worms through customers who don't patch their machines or
have open file shares.

-Henry

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 8:30 PM, Don Davis <dondavis at reglue.org> wrote:
> When I scan my laptop from outside I see:
> 135/tcp filtered msrpc
> 136/tcp filtered profile
> 137/tcp filtered netbios-ns
> 138/tcp filtered netbios-dgm
> 139/tcp filtered netbios-ssn
> 445/tcp filtered microsoft-ds
>
> However, netstat -patu does not show these ports listening.
> I have also tried various variations on iptables rules with no success:
> iptables -A INPUT -p udp --sport 445 -j REJECT
> iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 445 -j REJECT
>
> On the laptop and on the router with OpenWRT with no success. Thoughts?

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay