[SATLUG] HEB POS systems use Linux

country glenn.toothman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 11:37:48 CST 2009

HEB started using UNIX back in the lat 80's with System V, then migrated
through other releases of different *NIX systems.   From the start all the
POS units were to be *NIX based.   Before they put those systems up they
were using various UNIX based systems for their inventory control in the
warehouses.

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Jeremy Mann <jeremymann at gmail.com> wrote:

> Xmas eve I was at my local HEB at Bandera/1604 and there was a power
> outage while I was in the checkout line. As the geek like I am, I
> immediately looked at the screen while it was rebooting. They are Dell
> computers set to PXE boot a Linux image! I saw the kernel loading as
> well as the ramdisk image (I couldn't tell what kernel version it was
> though). It was a matter of about 10 seconds before the HEB POS system
> was back and the clerk logged it.
>
> Pretty cool!
>
> --
> Jeremy Mann