[SATLUG] HEB POS systems use Linux

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 11:46:36 CST 2009

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Jeremy Mann <jeremymann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Xmas eve I was at my local HEB at Bandera/1604 and there was a power
> outage while I was in the checkout line. As the geek like I am, I
> immediately looked at the screen while it was rebooting. They are Dell
> computers set to PXE boot a Linux image! I saw the kernel loading as
> well as the ramdisk image (I couldn't tell what kernel version it was
> though). It was a matter of about 10 seconds before the HEB POS system
> was back and the clerk logged it.
>
> Pretty cool!

Way to go HEB :)  I was talking to a friend yesterday who does PC
repair and they got called out to Zaxby's because they use Windows XP
on their POS system and it got a virus .. they couldn't open for the
day because their POS system was down.  At least with a netboot system
clearing a virus or worm is as simple as a reboot.

-Henry