[SATLUG] HEB POS systems use Linux

Channing.ML at channingc.com Channing.ML at channingc.com
Sat Dec 26 22:37:07 CST 2009

Michael Sellers wrote:
> That must be when it acquired the term POS.
>
> Mike Sellers
>
> On Dec 26, 2009, at 20:43, Brian Lewis <astro at astr0.org> wrote:
>
> That's interesting.. When I worked at HEB back in ~2000 (at the Oak Park HEB AKA GucciB - Gotta love the 09ers ;) all of our POS were running Windows NT.. I remember specifically because one of the registers always crapped out and I would have to fix it by hooking up a normal keyboard to the PC and toying around until we figured it out. I'm wondering when they switched..

Let's just say I have a little insight into the history of POS at HEB...

In the very early 90's HEB looked at a revolutionary POS that ran on
open systems.  Prior to that, it was the traditional closed solutions by
the typical POS vendors.  That solution was Win 3.11+Dr DOS on the
clients and UnixWare on the back-end.  Fast forward 10 years and they
are RH on the clients and servers.  That fast boot was some custom code
+ the standard PXE...yup - it was/is very fast :)

Channing