[SATLUG] HEB POS systems use Linux - Judson ISD

Miguel Guhlin mguhlin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 09:23:06 CST 2009

Don:

Have you seen Steve Young (Judson ISD CTO) presentation?
http://mguhlin.net/notes_txcto09_day1#toc2

Also, don't know if you are aware of the Computer Lending Pilot...

The Commissioner of Education shall establish a computer lending pilot
program to provide computers to participating public schools that make
computers available for use by students and their parents.
Any surplus or salvage data processing equipment available for distribution
under the pilot program
Eligible schools:
50% or more of students enrolled in the school are educationally
disadvantaged
computer lending program:
allows students and parents to borrow a computer
option to own
provides computer training for students and parents
operates outside of regular school hours, including operation until at least
7 pm on at least 3 days each week
Source: Anita Givens Presentation at TxCTO2009
http://www.mguhlin.org/2009/06/txcto09-anita-givens-legislative-update.html

Anyways, there are challenges in encouraging folks to transition from MS
Windows to a GNU/Linux desktop. One of the biggest one is Pearson's TestNAV,
the software used to assess students as part of online high stakes
testing...it requires Internet Explorer.
http://www.edsupport.cc/mguhlin/blog/archives/2008/06/entry_7315.htm

More information on thin clients aggregated from Texas Tech Director
remarks:
http://www.edsupport.cc/mguhlin/blog/archives/2008/09/entry_7817.htm

Wishing you well,

Miguel Guhlin