[SATLUG] HEB POS systems use Linux - Judson ISD

Don Davis dondavis at reglue.org
Sun Dec 27 11:42:24 CST 2009

Miguel Guhlin wrote:
> Don:
>
> Have you seen Steve Young (Judson ISD CTO) presentation?
> http://mguhlin.net/notes_txcto09_day1#toc2

No, I haven't. I'll take a look.
> Also, don't know if you are aware of the Computer Lending Pilot...

I read the info and the corresponding post. I don't feel that I know
much more about it. How will it be implemented? Where? Is anyone
implementing it? What should I know about it?

I also noticed the notes and HB 2488 and Open Source Textbooks. It
sounds promising; though it seems they plan to implement more rigid
requirements for open source text books than print text books. (That's
looking at the language they use -- who knows how it will work out in
the wash?)

> Anyways, there are challenges in encouraging folks to transition from MS
> Windows to a GNU/Linux desktop. One of the biggest one is Pearson's TestNAV,
> the software used to assess students as part of online high stakes
> testing...it requires Internet Explorer.

It mentions that the test can be administered from a fileserver. I also
notice that it's available for Macs. If it's Mac runnable, there's a
good chance it's runnable via Linux. Is it a genuine IE dependency (e.g.
Active X) or a misleading browser 'requirement'?
What about the IE under Wine browser?
http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

Thank you for the info. I'll definitely make use of it.
Miguel - I'll probably write you off list to bounce some ideas about the
LTSP presentation. I know many people knowledgeable in Linux and many
from Education but few who know about both. Thanks again.