[SATLUG] Browser secretly connecting to Google

Don Davis dondavis at reglue.org
Mon Dec 28 14:25:11 CST 2009

I didn't know that my browser secretly communicated with Google. This
morning I saw that my browser had unexpectedly opened a connection to an
ip address. I did a reverse DNS look up and it was google. I started a
tcpdump session to figure out watch was being sent to google when I
wasn't on. Then I learned about: POST./safebrowsing/downloads and
goog-phish-shavar and goog-malware-shavar.
http://code.google.com/p/google-safe-browsing/wiki/Protocolv2Spec

I don't mind so much, but I wish my browser had offered control over the
connection or given me a choice. Am I behind the curve on this one?