[SATLUG] Home Cloud?

Frank Huddleston fhuddles at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 11:16:54 CST 2009

Greetings,

   I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a "Home Cloud": that is,
cloud-type computing for the home. I might not be using the correct
terminology, but what I have in mind is kind of the opposite of
virtualization, although not incompatible with it:
with virtualization you can run many different types of hosts on one
physical computer, but with what I have in mind, you'd run many
computers "as one". Many of us gradually build a kind of elephant's
graveyard of older computers: could they be yoked together to function
something like the computing clouds?
I've seem some things out there that look as though they might possibly
deal with this kind of computing, like Swarm and Apache Hadoop, but I'm
just mentioning names: I haven't really looked into them.
The idea of using multiple computers as one is a really old one, and I
know lots of things have been tried especially for large computational
projects. I don't know about home or small business projects, however.
I'd be interested to see what you all have to say about this: it's of
some theoretical and practical interest to me.

Regards,

Frank Huddleston