[SATLUG] Home Cloud?

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 12:31:49 CST 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Frank Huddleston <fhuddles at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>  I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a "Home Cloud": that is,
> cloud-type computing for the home. I might not be using the correct
> terminology, but what I have in mind is kind of the opposite of
> virtualization, although not incompatible with it:
> with virtualization you can run many different types of hosts on one
> physical computer, but with what I have in mind, you'd run many computers
> "as one". Many of us gradually build a kind of elephant's graveyard of older
> computers: could they be yoked together to function something like the
> computing clouds?
> I've seem some things out there that look as though they might possibly deal
> with this kind of computing, like Swarm and Apache Hadoop, but I'm just
> mentioning names: I haven't really looked into them.
> The idea of using multiple computers as one is a really old one, and I know
> lots of things have been tried especially for large computational projects.
> I don't know about home or small business projects, however.
> I'd be interested to see what you all have to say about this: it's of some
> theoretical and practical interest to me.

Frank, just what are you trying to do?

A few things that come to mind that I have done are:

distcc - Distributed compilation environment (using multiple computers
to compile code)
MySQL - created a 4 server Round Robin MySQL environment
Video encoding - distributed video encoding environment using Transcode with MPI
POVray - distributed ray tracing/3D rendering

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility