[SATLUG] Home Cloud?

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Wed Dec 30 09:48:57 CST 2009

Frank Huddleston wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>   I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a "Home Cloud": that is,
> cloud-type computing for the home. I might not be using the correct
> terminology, but what I have in mind is kind of the opposite of
> virtualization, although not incompatible with it:
> with virtualization you can run many different types of hosts on one
> physical computer, but with what I have in mind, you'd run many
> computers "as one". Many of us gradually build a kind of elephant's
> graveyard of older computers: could they be yoked together to function
> something like the computing clouds?
> I've seem some things out there that look as though they might
> possibly deal with this kind of computing, like Swarm and Apache
> Hadoop, but I'm just mentioning names: I haven't really looked into them.
> The idea of using multiple computers as one is a really old one, and I
> know lots of things have been tried especially for large computational
> projects. I don't know about home or small business projects, however.
> I'd be interested to see what you all have to say about this: it's of
> some theoretical and practical interest to me.
>
> Regards,
>
> Frank Huddleston

I think that what you are describing is better termed as clustering.  In
my experience its best to have a single purpose for your cluster. I have
tried to do this a little bit a couple of years back with cinelerra for
video editing. I was able to set it up so that i could use the three of
my spare computers to run as slaves to my main video editor.  nice thing
about it was that they did not have to be dedicated to being slaves when
not in use by cinelerra, as I booted them using live cd's that I
mastered specifically for this purpose.

Todd