[SATLUG] IE websites

Nate pixelnate at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 15:24:04 CST 2009

On 12/30/09 3:14 PM, Herb Cee wrote:

> Cheryls original complaint has not been addressed and perhaps you
> guyts are forgetting that she has very bad damage to her eyes.  I have
> some damage in mine but not as severe as Cheryl's so let me add that
> what i think her problem is, that in order to see the text, she and I
> have to set the default font at very large in order to read it and the
> text often gets overlaid by an ad box or frame. I believe we are both
> using the 3.0.xx version of FF since both of us are using the Ubun
> 8.04 LTE and allowing the auto updating of the LT supported releases.
> Currently FF is 3.0.16.
>
> To simulate what Cheryl is seeing try setting your forced font size to
> min size of 20 or 24 and i think you will see better what she is
> complaining about . I can find nothing to help but perhaps someone
> understanding the prob can suggest a solution.
> hh

So I guess we need to define the term"websites designed for IE". I
assume that you mean that a site that is full of ActiveX calls. In that
case you're boned unless you are using IE. There is just no way around
it. I recall a coworker trying to get into a site to manage her
healthcare bills and the login form wasn't even visible with anything
but IE. Sad but true.

Also, if a page's content is zoomed up greater than 150% the layout is
going to fall apart. It might help if you check the zoom option to zoom
the whole page instead of just the text. If a website has been designed
for use only on (or never tested on anything else) IE, then your only
option to view the content properly is to use IE. There is just no way
around it.

For those that are sight-limited the only other option is to use a
screen reader. Chances are, though, that anybody building a site that
'requires' IE will also fall apart with a screen reader.

Sorry for the bad news.

~Nate