[SATLUG] IE websites

Herb Cee hc at lookcee.com
Wed Dec 30 16:16:26 CST 2009

Mike Wallace wrote:
> A lurker emerges from the shadows....
>

> >From the original description, it sounds like the site is employing browser
> specific JavaScript.  While there are browser differences with respect to
> the rendering of HTML, these are relatively minor in comparison to the
> differences encountered in JavaScript.  JavaScript for Firefox, Safari and
> IE is all over the map which is why JavaScript frameworks like Dojo, jQuery,
> Prototype, et al. exist.  Nevertheless, if heavy JavaScript is present on
> the site, the only real solution is to load the site in Windows/IE whether
> it be on a stand-alone box or within a virtual machine.  Every browser
> handles JavaScript differently, so there is no way to accurately mimic IE on
> another system because to duplicate IE would require duplicating what it
> claims to support as well as all the "features" (i.e. bugs), and deviations
> from JavaScript standards.  Another possibility is that there are Microsoft
> specific ActiveX controls, but the solution is still the same -- you need to
> have Windows itself.
>
> On the subject of Flash, it is one of the best tools in the RIA product
> space.  A key advantages of Flash is that it looks the same in all browsers
> and the Flash plug-in is present .  Yes, Flash can be misused, but it is
> invaluable for data visualization and navigation.  Cross-browser JavaScript
> augmented with Flash where necessary can make a very good, intuitive site.
>
> -Mike

Yeah Mike I think you and Nate have nailed it as far as the browser
option I think Cheryl was guessing (I haven't asked her) that it was
designed only for IE She and I are both frustrated by this problem and
being fairly programmer illiterate we just muddle onward. Often
instructions on a site are almost hidden and yes it is so frustrating to
have a dialog box that is non sizable and the bottom where you agree or
choose is below the screen view and there is just no way to view it.
sigh, bitch, whine, grrrrrrr.
hh