[SATLUG] Home Cloud?

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 04:05:07 CST 2009

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Don Wright <satlug at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 03:30:38 -0600, Robert Pearson <e2eiod at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> <snip great comments>
>>The Times They Are A'Changin
>

> Thanks for posting those links. The Cloud is a big topic right now, and
> it's important to understand it. However, "this too shall pass."

<snip great story>

> Now tell me how this great central Mull-Ticks Castle differs from the
> new, improved Castle in the Fog of today? Be sure to mention Sidekick
> and Gmail (and even AT&T 3G) as shining examples of too-big-to-fail
> technologies.  --Don

How true... How true... Nothing ever changes - only our perception of it?

Joni says it all...
[Posted by me on StorageMojo at:]
<http://storagemojo.com/2009/08/06/avere-systems-dynamic-tiering-for-the-masses-of-data/>

    I gave up any hope of getting hybrid SSD + “rotating rust” devices
about a year ago. In the last 6 months things have really been
changing for the better in the SSD + “rotating rust” world. I am not
sure that tiering or even “dynamic tiering” will be the final answer.
It will be a good incremental step. “Clouds” are driving some
interesting changes. One of those is the move away from managing at
the “spindle” level, which is where we have been for too long.
    The next move needs to be away from the lack of leadership from
the ROI, ROCE, ??? area (management) that is needed by the local “care
and feeding” personnel in the TCO, CAPEX, OPEX, ??? area. You must
have income growth to survive. Controlling expenses is necessary but
not as important as income growth. “Clouds” are expensive but they
stimulate income growth by delivering “Value Add” Services within the
defined TCO. We now get “fries” and possibly a “Pepsi” with our
“cheeseburger” (Unit of Information).
    The “Cloud” management tools are still missing. Perhaps because
there is no leadership from vendors. That leadership would come in the
form of a definable Strategy.
    Joni Mitchell said it well in her song…
    Rows and flows of angel hair
    And ice cream castles in the air
    And feather canyons everywhere
    I’ve looked at clouds that way
    But now they only block the sun
    They rain and snow on everyone
    So many things I would have done
    But clouds got in my way

    I’ve looked at clouds from both sides now,
    from up and down, and still somehow
    it’s cloud illusions I recall.
    I really don’t know clouds at all.