[SATLUG] RMS coming to town?

skolars skolars at cis.sac.accd.edu
Sun Feb 8 14:41:11 CST 2009

Storey Clamp wrote:
> Chris Hudson wrote:
>>> doesn't like to stay in
>>> hotels on these visits.. so he's staying at my place for
>>> the 1-2 nights while
>>> in town for his IEEE/Trinity talk.
>>>

>> I'm surprised he's speaking at an IEEE event, I didn't think he liked
>> them...from his web site (stallman.org):
>>
>> Don't publish papers with the IEEE! As the IEEE rejects public-domain
>> papers, let the public reject the IEEE. See
>> http://cr.yp.to/writing/ieee.html.
>>
> rms has spent almost 20 years trying to accomplish what Linus did in
> one year.  Most of his talks include a rant about how most users of
> our favorite operating system call it Linux instead of "GNU/Linux",
> which deprives him of what he feels is his fair share of credit.  I do
> not plan to hang around the Trinity Campus waving a GNU flag in hope
> of getting an autograph.
>
> I use vi, not Emacs
Well said Storey.  I have talked to him at a couple different Usenix
conferences.  He was impossible to talk to if I did not preface
everything with GNU.  After two times in person and once on the phone I
gave up trying to talk to him.  He has done a lot of good stuff but
needs to lighten up a little.

Steve
:wq