[SATLUG] Command Line Warriors - Ten Cool Coreutils Commands

Mike Wallace m.a.wallace at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 13:25:38 CST 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> ed wrote:
>
>> Hey folks?  Is this old news,
>>

> Yes.
>
>  or useful?
>>

> Some are, some aren't.  The most common place you see these is in scripts.
>
> I use tee and wc relatively often.  I occasionally use 'yes' and the
> programming version of stat.  It's easier to use vim instead of expand
> unless you need to do it to a lot of files.  I use a2ps instead of pr.
>
> The rest are not very useful.

Of all the commands, I use wc the most, but 95% of the time, it's with the
-l option.  Rarely do I count lines in a file, but instead I count total
results returned from other commands (find, grep, etc).

I don't use it much, but when necessary the uniq command can be very
useful.  I usually only use "uniq -c" which gives a count of occurances.  I
like counting things.  Can you tell?  Say you need to know how many .mp3
files each user has under their home directory.  Just pipe together a find,
cut, sort and uniq.

I use "tail -f" rather than tee.  With tail, you can watch the activity on
any file being appended to, regardless of the process that created it.
Also, if you need to temporarily do something else, you can ^C the tail
process, do something, and then "tail -f" again.  There's no doing any of
that with tee.

The split command is useful when you need to look at some monster sized log
file and the file is so large that vi/emacs won't open it.  Otherwise, it is
pretty useless.

-Mike