[SATLUG] [SATLUG[ GNULinux would not exist were it not for RMS ?

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Tue Feb 10 02:12:26 CST 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 00:31 -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Todd W. Bucy wrote:
> > Ill admit that RMS has contributed a great deal to the F/OSS.  but if
> > its one thing I have noted that with great talent comes great ego.
>
> Ego is one thing.   Disdain for others who don't agree with every nuance of your
> opinion is another.  RMS has a reputation of not respecting others' honest
> opinions.  Perhaps he gets more attention that way to further his cause, but I
> think it detracts from his overall goals.
>
>    -- Bruce

I got into a "discussion" with him at LISA about using a commercial
database on Linux (oops... GNU/Linux) and found him quite inflexible
about running anything on GNU/Linux that isn't FREE software.  This was
years ago, before MySQL could do much as a transactional database, and
we were using PeopleSoft [1] on Red Hat Advanced Server [2] to track
satellite time usage at a small telecomms company.  When I asked him
what FREE software could handle what we were doing, his answer was,
"Write it yourself."

I respect his contributions, and have enjoyed using EMACS with Gnus, but
talking down to a sysadmin who asks a reasonable question like that does
little to promote social harmony.

[1] before Oracle bought them
[2] no, not RHEL AS - it came with Netscape web server

Al Castanoli