[SATLUG] Spanish and Linux - local Mexican University

D Villarreal dvprogs at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 04:25:43 CST 2009

> Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 12:58:20 -0600   From: gboswell <
> gboswell at cis.sac.accd.edu>  Subject: [SATLUG] Spansih settings in SUSE
>  I have some students who are trying to get a Nix(SUSE) running in Spanish.
>  The install is entirely in Spanish but when it boots up it is in
> English.... Any guidance. Different subject does M$ have a Spanish version.
> They are trying to get their grandparents (from Mexico) online.
> Boz

Boz,
I wouldn't worry about the boot-up in English.Whatever boot-up distro I have
tried that has polyglot ability does the same thing, you have to be able to
choose language from English menu at some point, but your mileage may vary.
For example, booting up KNOPPIX_V6.0.1CD-2009-02-08-EN with "knoppix
lang=es" brings up a desktop that apparently is in English, but the
sub-menus are only partly in Spanish. (Knoppix is by a German engineer).

Depending on taste, there are Spanish-language GNU/Linux distros available
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Spanish-language_Linux_distributions
but they forgot http://www.mayix.net (Guatamala-based)
MAX (http://www.educa.madrid.org/portal/c/portal/layout?p_l_id=10970.12&c=an
)
LliureX (http://lliurex.net/home/)

Also see...
http://www.linuxlinks.com/Foreign/Spanish/
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Spanish-HOWTO.html

You could refer Spanish-speakers dealing with Mexican Spanish to
http://www.microsoft.com/mexico/, but depending on where they live they may
have difficulty finding a place to purchase MS products from. Not to mention
it's going to be very expensive to them.

You might also recommend the "Administración básica del sistema Linux" class
at UNAM. All Mexicans have access to excellent education.

Regards,
Daniel
P.S. It would be nice if your local UNAM branch could coordinate with your
CIS department (along with SATLUG and XCSSA) for installfests and so forth.
I think the cultural interchange would be mutually beneficial. Their website
is under construction (http://www.usa.unam.edu/), but they do have an email
address posted.